Monday 14 March 2011

Restaurant Review #3

Chinese Xpress Restaurant & Takeaway - 44 Monrovia Street, Off Amino Kano Crescent Wuse II Abuja. Opposite Banex Plaza
I was so excited to come across a Chinese restaurant. It's been a while and I was really looking forward to having some noodles or crab ragoon. The restaurant itself is pretty spartan in style. Not a lot to it. Just an overall decent place for a quick lunch or dinner. Their eat in meals which was served buffet style (not actually buffet) had a decent selection and most of meal were any where from 500 -700 Naira. Which in my opinion was quite affordable. They had sweet and sour chicken, fried rice, fried rice vermicelli and a host of other stuff. I had the fried rice vermicelli and sweet and sour chicken. As I waited for my meal to be served I used that opportunity to glance through their actual menu. The meals listed on the menu was a bit more expensive. As the waiter delivered my meal I asked him why the meals listed on the menu was higher than the meals currently being served. According to him when you order from the menu, the meal is usually prepared in a much larger quantity than what they already have prepared. Their cheapest meal on the menu is the fried rice combo with either beef or chicken and the most expensive meal is their roasted duck which is a whooping 15,000 naira. You know what just hand me that 15k, if I have to hunt and cook my own duck I will. What is the duck prepared in? Liquid gold abegi.
The meal- It wasn't bad and it wasn't great. I've had sweet and sour chicken and I remember it being tastier. I mean I loved the fact that I could see huge chunks of pineapple in my meal but I don't remember it being that way. The noodles was prepared quite well and I actually enjoyed it. My meal cost 1420 naira including a bottle of water and VAT (value added tax). So I would say that it was quite decent. There are still a bunch more on their menu that I'm looking forward to trying so I'm not done with them yet. They should better get used to seeing my face more often now hehehehehehehe. All in all not a bad experience.
Cost - low - high range
Here are pics of my meal and of the restaurant. They also have outside seating but I didn't get a picture of that

4 comments:

  1. Love- question. Does the chicken taste different because you know it is not processed like what we have here in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you advice chinese express for a date??
    I actually want somewhere affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would advice Wonto Chinese Restaurant below Best Bite. Its affordable, good food and nice ambiance.
    But you could also try the food court at Wuse 2. On the same line as Jevnik if you are heading towards the filling station on Adetokunbo (I'm horrible with directions) but they have a nice selection of restaurants for a date.

    ReplyDelete