Tuesday 8 March 2011

Snacking on Budget (Approach with Caution)

Today I decided to pull a Rachel Ray. She has this particular show where she tries to spend only $40 a day on her entire meal for the day from breakfast to dinner including snacks too. Well in my case I didn't have $40 but 80 naira instead. And no it was not for the whole day just to snack. I actually try to budget only 200 naira per day while at work but have never succeeded in pulling that feat. Anyway, I decided to try this lady across from my workplace who sells meat pie and puf puf. One of my coworkers has been giving rave reviews on how good her meat pies are. Well I'm not sure if you could accurately call it meat pie. The filling had sprinklings of meat which I could not taste but knew it was there by sight alone and then  heap full of mashed potatoes (well that's the closest description I can give- please Lord I really pray it was potato). It tasted like utter crap. The dough tasted like crap and the filling was even worse. What I had wasn't meat pie more like crap pie. I can't believe she sells that stuff to people. She should be arrested for crime against food!!!! I had half a mind to return it back to the lady but considering my location i.e being in naija and the massive sun outside, I decided to toss the remaining crap away and wash the grimy taste off my tongue.
The moral of the story is that if you must snack on a budget please be wary of what you are buying and where you a buying it. Or better yet just make your own snack and bring it with you. If that's out of the question, stick to what you know and avoid all pastries (yes I said it, pastries are not our forte in naija)

3 comments:

  1. lol too funny!
    So you mean you cannot get breakfast, lunch and dinner for 80 naira? (or $40????)
    Whao! That's expensive.

    Macdonald's $6.00 Breakfast
    Subway $11.00 Lunch
    Panera Bread $14 dinner

    and I still have change left over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I miss that about the States. Being able to get a decent meal at any price. U will have to spend a bit more if you want to eat a decent meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Sure you could probably settle for the usual rice and stew or garri and soup but it gets boring after a while

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, since $40 is over 6 thousand naira, you can get a whole day's meal for that amount

    ReplyDelete